Monday, July 12, 2010

Knight and Day

I have been looking forward to this feature ever since I watched the trailer about 2 months back. It looked like an action comedy/ adventure which I would probably enjoy. After a long wait and much anticipation, I was not in the least bit disappointed. Knight and Day proved to be every bit as exciting and entertaining as I imagined it would be.

I have always been a fan of Cameron Diaz, especially after having watched her comedic roles in movies such as, There's Something About Mary and of course Charlie's Angels. I find her portrayal of the characters in these movies, refreshing, energetic and vibrant. She exudes personality and breathes life so naturally into these roles that one cannot help but be captivated by her charms. As for Tom Cruise, I used to be a fan of his for a very long time. In fact, when I was in high school, I rented all his movies just to salivate at his good looks. I realise now that, good looks aside, he is not much of a dramatic actor and perhaps his switch to comedic roles in the later part of his life may be his best career move yet. I must admit that I was very much amused and entertained by his character in this movie and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance. He seems to appear cool and calculated in the most dire and dangerous situations in the movie.

Diaz portrays June Havens who is flying to Boston to attend her sister's wedding. She is spotted by Roy Miller (Tom Cruise) and he arranges to bump into her a few times. After a series of coincidences, they end up on the same and oddly fairly empty plane. The two start a conversation and get rather flirty with each other when June decides to go to the washroom to freshen up. Unbeknownst to her, Roy is being ambushed by everyone on the flight and he manages to kill every one of them, including the pilot. After June returns from the washroom, she is drugged by Roy and wakes up in her own bedroom. Before Roy drugs her, she is told not to trust anyone who says that they want to protect her and under no circumstances is she to get into any vehicles.

After a series of events, as expected, June is forced to enter a vehicle and is taken into protective custody. Roy comes to her rescue, despite her reluctance to trust him and the two continue to battle dangerous people, powerful weapons and multiple explosions in their fight for survival. Romance blossoms on their adventure together, and in the end the two find that they have no one else to trust but each other.

It has been quite some time since I have watched a decent action adventure which is simple, light-hearted and does not require any deep thought. Most action features nowadays are wrought with convoluted storylines and complicated characters which deter people from enjoying them for what they truly should be. Some examples of disastrous  action features I have watched lately are, The A-Team and The Losers. Both these movies are examples of how action-comedies should not be made. Both of them portrayed shallow character explorations, weak and complicated plots and rather forgettable performances.

I thoroughly enjoyed Knight and Day and would recommend it to anyone who is just looking for a fun and enjoyable time at the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment